Safety With the Lubrication System
Keep these 6 safety precautions in mind when working with the lubrication system.
1. When you change oil or oil filters, oil often spills on
the floor. Clean up oil spills immediately so that
you won't slip or fall.
2. When running the engine to check oil pressure,
make sure the exhaust fumes are adequately
removed by the exhaust system in the shop or
make sure you have adequate ventilation.
3. Used oil in the engine is very toxic and should not
be disposed of on driveways or in fields. All used
oil from street rod engines should be recycled.
Many states have specific recycling requirements
for oil. In many states, retail outlets that sell oil
must either recycle the used oil or provide
information noting where the oil can be recycled in
the area. Check with your local retail outlet to find
where to recycle the used oil.
Back to Safety
4. Always keep tools clean and free from oil so
they can be used safety and properply.
5. Make sure to wear safety glasses in the street rod
shop under all conditions.
6. A vehicle must be lifted up whenever the oil is
changed. When lifting the street rod with a
hydraulic lift, always use jack stands to support the
street rod in chase the hydraulic jack should fail